Office ergonomics for working safely at the office or home
Understand the benefits and limitations of sitting and standing while doing computer work. Learn to adjust your office workstation to reduce fatigue, pain and discomfort and achieve postures that improve health and well-being. Perfect for people setting up for work at home.
This program will teach you how to assess your own work area and make the necessary adjustments, providing a safe and healthy work environment.
The Office Smart – Workstation Ergonomics course will teach you how to correctly setup your office workstation. Whether you are standing, sitting at work by the end of the course you will know how to be office smart.
The course has 5 distinct modules that outline:
- A basic knowledge of the human anatomy
- Sitting workstation and how to best set it up
- Standing workstation and the best practices
- The importance of changing position and micro breaks
- 5 stretches that will change your day
Already have a company LMS and need this course on it?
Call to discuss how this program can sit on your company dedicated learning management system for easier student management and reporting. Customisation also available to increase relevance to your users.
Combine with another short course and save! Call 1300 591 548
The approach to the design of this program is one where the participant is kept involved throughout the program through a variety of presentation media and learning activities. The design highlights a visual link between body posture and the demand on the body. An emphasis will be placed on visually demonstrating the tissue demand in various postures and how it can be improved with correct workstation set-up and posture variation.
A mixture of video, still image and 2D graphics is used to present information. It also includes 2D animation overlayed or presented on top of video and still images. Participants are challenged to assess their own workstation, enter the results they have obtained and any corrective actions they employed. This approach essentially makes up the assessment and the information.
Activities provided during the course will concentrate on practical solutions to situations and not just an answer for a question. There will be a focus on the application of information learned to that individuals ergonomic considerations.
This short online course should take you about half an hour to complete.
Award / Qualification
Students successfully completing all components of this course will be issued a Statement of Completion from KINNECT Training.
What you will Learn
The following topics are included in the program.
Introduction to anatomy and physiology
- Specifically relating to demands of working in the office environment;
- Provide appropriate visual description of the tissue changes that can occur with the exposures in the office area;
- Context on how to minimise the effects of sedentary activities;
- The physiology of sitting.
- Principles of seated postures – demonstrating effect on body with poor posture, most commonly noted whens seated and within this work area;
- Design of chairs including the functional adjustments and their purpose – back rest height, lumbar support, backrest angle, seat pan position, ideal height settings;
- Footrest – principles of use, how to assess if you need one;
- Desk (seated) – height, positioning of equipment, use of footrests;
- Desk (standing) – benefits of standing, challenges of standing, height of desk principles, how long to stand for, safety in immediate area i.e. slips, trips and falls potential;
- Monitor – principles of position (standing or sitting), preferred viewing angles for users, effects
of glasses and monitor positions;
- General Layout of Work Areas – preferred reach zone principles for all equipment on the
- Assistance – where to get assistance within the organisation;
- Exercises for working in this environment – pause activities to reduce musculo-skeletal stress in both sitting and standing postures.
Anyone who works in an office based setting. Intended for people getting started with a sit to stand workstation, however if you just have a sitting workstation, this course will also help you. Or if you have considered purchasing a sit to stand desk, this will be your guide in properly using your new workstation.
OnlineSingle Booking$29 ppSingle person enrolment, Start immediatelyAvailable any time online
Complete at your own pace
Never lose your placeOnlineMultiple Bookings$24 ppMultiple person enrolment Notification straight to student's email addressAvailable any time online
Complete at your own pace
Never lose your placeOnlineLarge Group Bookings$19 ppCal 1300 591 548 or email email@example.comBulk student upload available
Notification straight to student's email address
Company admin portal available (costs may apply)
Already have an LMS? Purchase the SCORM package - unrestricted ongoing use. Call 1300 591 548